3/19/11

52km GERALDINE MTB RACE 20.3.11

For a change I did not have to drive for hours to the race venue. This time the race was right here in Geraldine, which suited me as I could have a wee sleep in, good breakfast and still have plenty of time for warm-up.

Standing on the start line - it was raining. Again. After all those hrs of training and past racing in the rain, it does not bother me any more and I see it as an advantage to fellow competitors who are not used to it as much as I am. The gun went off. Single line of bikes created in no time as we headed off to the river 4WD tracks. The tracks were so muddy that the tire selection was critical. I have put a new tire on just before the race which was smart thing to do. I was also happy with my race tactic as I made sure I'm working with someone on the long straight flats, gaining valuable meters on steep climbs and have a clear run on tight technical muddy single tracks.

Half way through the race the field have spread a little and I found myself riding with Timaru rider. We stayed together right to the end putting good pressure on each other. But none of us managed to drop the other one. He out sprinted me to the finish. Unluckily we were in the same age category. I finished 6th overall, and 3rd in my age group after 2hrs 17 min of racing. Happy with my day.