6/26/10

TERRACE DOWNS DEFI MULTISPORT RACE


An artical I wrote for Marmot NZ:
On April 24.2010 I took part in Terrace Downs Defi multisport race based at Rakaia Gorge in South Island, NZ. The weather was making everyone little bit worried as it was forecast southerly wind and rain. Not what you hope for a 129km race! I have chosen to start the race in bike shirt, arm warmers and my MARMOT MICA jacket and review it after first stage. During the 30km MTB leg it wasn’t raining yet, but the jacket kept nicely the wind off. Thanks to its good breathability I was not sweaty underneath so have decided to keep it on for the next stage – 38 km kayak down grade 2 Rakaia River through its famous gorge.
Run to the river, fast transition and I was off for 2,5 hrs paddle down the river. The weather man was right this time -the cold southerly wind and rain has arrived. I was very happy for my decision to keep my MICA jacket on for the paddle. It protected me from the waves as well as from rain. It was so good to see my support crew at the end of the kayak leg. High energy food, bike shoes, helmet and I was away for 47km road bike stage. The cold rain was still hammering me hard! My hands were so cold I had trouble to change gears or hold drink bottle. I was really surprised that the jacket was still keeping me dry, after all those hours of rain.
Last transition, more food, running shoes, fuel belt and I was ready for 13 km run through native bush and farm land. The rain finally eased off!
I crossed the finish line after 6,5 hrs, and months of training for this race. Exhausted but happy. The MICA jacket exceeded my expectation and it will be in my racing kit from now on. It’s incredibly light, still waterproof and breathable.
Thank you Marmot for such a great jacket.